Looking for Android Developer Jobs in Manchester?
Mapway is a great place to work as a developer for job satisfaction, career progression and working environment. As a leading supplier of innovative transport apps, our products continue to help millions of people all over the world plan their journeys. Covering iPhone and Android devices our transport apps are designed to help commuters and tourists alike map their journeys in cities such as London, New York and Paris.
With a total of 26 transport apps in our portfolio, including Tube Map – our award winning London Underground app – Mapway has over 11 million users worldwide and has earned numerous app store accolades and promotions, all testament to the hard work and dedication our development teams put into producing our high quality apps.
Our app developments are very fast moving, so you’ll see the results of your work in use by millions of people within days or weeks of you joining the company. Because we use Scrum, everyone in the team has a voice in how development is done. We also have to keep up with the latest technology developments, so there’s no chance of your skills becoming stale, and we encourage innovation and creativity. We follow best engineering practices and have a strong team, so it’s a great place to develop your skills and experience. As well as the usual package, there are great social events, flexibility on working hours and an office that’s easy to get to by car or public transport.
We are looking for an Android Developer to join our mobile apps team, based at our Head Office in Manchester.
To be successful within the role you will have:
- An energetic personality with a passion for writing code.
- Experience writing Android apps using Java (preferably around 1-2 years experience).
- Additional experience of, or at least a willingness to learn, the sorts of recent platform innovations which we use to develop modern native Android apps. These include things like Material Design, Instant apps, Android Go apps and Google’s Firebase platform.
- A passion to develop world leading mobile apps and to continuously grow your skillsets - we always need to move quickly using the latest technology and tools, and we want developers who want to move with us. We are particularly interested in candidates with published apps on Google Play.
- Preferably, ideas of your own. We like people who can help us identify the technology trends and innovations which we ought to be using to keep our products ahead of the competition.
Our development teams work within the Scrum framework, using the best and latest working practices and tools within the mobile app industry. The role will also encourage the use of the latest Android features, as well as the most up to date UX and UI design principles. Also, because of the way our scrum teams work, there is always scope to learn new skills, including other mobile platforms like iOS. We use a modern toolchain based on continuous integration with tools like Android Studio, JIRA Agile, Confluence, Fastlane, Git and HockeyApp.
At Mapway we pride ourselves on having a wide range of company benefits from competitive salaries and 31 days holiday (including bank holidays and a 3 day Christmas shutdown), to childcare vouchers and an employee discount scheme.
Our culture is to work hard but in a relaxed surrounding and to provide a comfortable and engaging environment we offer flexible working hours, a casual dress code, table tennis, table football and a fully stocked kitchen (including fruit, bread and a top of the range bean-to-cup coffee machine). We’re pretty flexible about working hours, and once you’ve reached the right seniority, working from home is allowed.
As an innovative employer we encourage and embrace creativity so at least once a year we run dedicated sprints to explore the latest technology developments from Google, Apple or others.
Our office is pretty easy to get to by both car and public transport.
Additional benefits include;
- Company pension scheme (we will match contributions up to a maximum of 3%)
- A day off to celebrate your birthday
- 4 weeks paid sabbatical after every five years of service
- Cycle scheme
- Death in service plan
To apply for this role please email your CV with a covering letter (including details of your salary expectations and any links to your portfolio/published apps) to firstname.lastname@example.org .